State Assistance for Single Mothers in Washington

Being a single mother is very hard, especially during these hard financial times, but the good thing is that help is available if you ask for it. Washing state offers many opportunities for single mothers that have a low income and cannot offer a good standard of living for their children. Local charity organizations may provide them food assistance, housing benefits, child care benefits and even cash.

Medical Benefits

The Washington state’s medical health care program is only available for children that do not have a health insurance; a health insurance may cover almost all health-related problems. Furthermore, if children need hospitalization, emergency room services or drugs, their health insurance will cover all costs.

Food Benefits

The program for food assistance is called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and it is offered by the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). If you are eligible for this program, you can get any fruits and vegetables you want, absolutely free. In order to qualify for this program, your monthly income should be less than $ 1580; no matter if you already receive other types of assistance, they also count as an income and you should communicate them. Furthermore, if your monthly income is very low or you don`t have any monthly income, you are free to apply for SNAP program immediately and if you are approved, you will get the necessary assistance within seven days.

Money Benefits

This program is called TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and it is obtainable by single mothers who live in Washington State and have a low monthly income. This program offers you a monthly income that can be used as you wish. This is a great program for mothers that cannot afford to pay the bills or in some cases, their house rents. However if you want to be eligible for this program you must complete some tasks. For example if you are a single mother and you have children younger than six years of age, you must complete some weekly work activities (20 hours per week). If one of your children is older than six years of age, you must work 30 hours per week; these jobs are usually community services. If you are approved and you also have some child care costs, this program may help you for the next 60 months.

Child Care Benefits

If your monthly income is low and you cannot raise your child accordingly (your monthly income should be less than $1580), you may opt for this program that offers you some financial support. However, this program is exclusively for the single mothers that raise their children alone and do not benefit from the support of a second parent. The Department of Social and Health Services is in charge with this program and offers a voucher to any single mothers in this situation. The voucher can be used to satisfy all your personal needs and can also be used for paying your bills or house rents.

Leave a Comment