Oklahoma single mothers assistance programs

Oklahoma single mothers’ assistance programs

Single mothers have a very tough job of raising their children under one income. With unemployment rate in Oklahoma edging to 6.8%, a fairly high number of single moms are unemployment and facing difficulty in providing basic housing, food, transportation & medicine for their children & themselves. Fortunately, there are several financial aid programs for single mothers in Oklahoma. We will overview some of them and provide links to their websites for further reading.

i) Oklahoma Food Stamps

Food stamps program in Oklahoma is administered by the Department of Social Services & Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). It provides nutritious food to low income single mothers & households who would otherwise not be able afford basic food for their families. Eligible families have their benefits loaded on a Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card that can be used like a credit card in most supermarkets & grocery stores across Oklahoma. SNAP benefits are awarded to more than 250,000 children & adults in Oklahoma each month. Eligibility requirements for SNAP benefits are:

– Must be a US citizen or legal alien
– Must meet resource limits which are the household cannot have more than $2,000 in assets such as cash, bank accounts, real estate, etc. This limit is raised to $3,000 for households with an aged member over 60 years or disabled person.
– Must pass gross & net income test requirements. For e.g. a household with 2 members cannot have income that exceeds 130% of federal poverty level, or $1,579.

ii) Oklahoma Medicaid Program

Medicaid Oklahoma is a state & federal health coverage program that pays for medical expenses that most people would otherwise not be able to afford. Examples of medical services that Medicaid pays for are lab & x-ray services, inpatient hospital services, dental & denture services, transplants, prescription drugs, immunizations, etc. Applications for Medicaid can be done via telephone (see below) or by setting an appointment with Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) county office. To be eligible for Oklahoma Medicaid, a person must be:

– Resident of Oklahoma
– Citizen of USA or qualified alien
– Pass income & financial requirements test

iii) Oklahoma Higher Education

The Oklahoma Higher Education board was formed in 1941 and currently enrolls 247,000 students across 25 colleges & universities. There are lots of financial aid available including grants, scholarships, work study programs, loans & benefits for specific groups of people.

Applicable grant programs include the Oklahoma Tuition Aid grant (OTAG) & Oklahoma Tuition Equalization Grant (OTEG). Grants are awarded on a need basis & your expected family contributions (EFCs) are taken in to account when considering your need. For example, if you need $10,000 for your first year college and your family chips in with $3,000, then your financial need is $7,000. Recipients must be residents of the state of Oklahoma and graduated from a public or private high school. Also, applicants must have been admitted to a 4 year college or university program proven by an acceptance letter given by the institution.

There are also student loans given by the Oklahoma higher education board. Options include the Federal Perkins loan & Federal Stafford loan. Depending on the type of loan, you can borrow up to $4,000 per year for your undergraduate studies up to a total of $20,000. This is increased to $40,000 for graduate students, or up to $6,000 a year. Visit the website below for lots more information.

Education assistance for single mothers in Oklahoma
Education is very important for kids to be intellectual people of tomorrow. Thus they must be given enough education to nurture and unleash their dreams. That being said, there are various grants and scholarships offered in Oklahoma which are need-based. To find out about these financial aids, one has to enquire with the institution of choice. The State is subsidizing these institutions to offer tuition assistance to the financially needy and academically potential students.

Utility assistance
Single moms are given energy assistance to help pay their Utility costs. The help is offered through the program LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program). It is a federal program and administered by the State of Oklahoma. Only low-income single moms are catered for.

Being a single mom in the State of Oklahoma should, on the other hand, be seen as an added bonus because the State is doing everything possible to help single moms. There are various help programs that are offered to create a quality life for everyone.

This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)