Low Income Housing Assistance in Rhode Island

Housing help for single mothers in Rhode Island

It may seem to be tough for single mothers in the State of Rhode Island to have their own decent and safe accommodation especially when earning a little income. Housing costs are generally high, and thus an additional income is needed for a single mom to afford housing costs in addition to other household costs she is liable to provide to her kids.

In the State of Rhode Island, there is a wide variety of housing aid programs that are primarily initiated to help these moms with shelter needs. The programs, in general, need the mom to earn less than a certain limit as stated by the United States HUD (Housing and Urban Development) Department. For example, the single mom can be approved for Housing Choice Voucher program if she earns less than 50% of the area median income as published by the HUD. For subsidized apartments under Section 8 the mom is required to earn less than 80% of the area median income.

The incomes may differ from one county to the other, or may differ depending on the size of the household of the mother. The best way to check the exact values is to visit the relevant housing authority in the community that it caters for. Applications can also be done with the public housing authorities. The programs for housing in Rhode Island are mentioned below;

Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program for single moms in RI

As a single mother, have you ever wished to rent in a private apartment but struggled financially? Well under this program the wishes may be accomplished. The program allows the single mom to rent in a privately owned apartment of her choice. However, that apartment will be subject to health and security requirements which are deemed as high quality standards. Furthermore, the apartment must meet the rental requirements as reflected by the market in which it features.

Once the mother has found that apartment which meets all the standards, a lease agreement will be signed between the PHA with whom the mother has applied. The authority binds itself to pay a certain amount of money as a subsidy on rent of the mom. Usually the amount is larger than the amount that the mom has to contribute. The mom is only bound to pay 30% of her monthly earnings for rent and utility expenses.

The program is managed by the public housing authorities across the communities in Rhode Island. For the communities that have no public housing authority, the Rhode Island Housing will cover them as a statewide housing authority.

A qualifying single mother has to apply with the public housing authority. Once determined for eligibility, she will be put on a waiting list. The waiting lists have a period of closure where a certain housing authority has reached a threshold of the applicants to be helped once the funds become available. In such cases one may try other programs such as project-based vouchers provided they are still open. If you have applied for the program already, it is easy to check the status online at http://www.waitlistcheck.com.

Subsidized Apartments (Section 8) for single mothers in Rhode Island

This program helps single mothers who earns low-income with subsidized apartments for accommodation. The apartments are subsidized with federal government’s funds. Rhode Island, for example, administers 20 000 apartments of which 15 000 are suitable for Section 8 rental assistance. The same rules still apply as in the Housing Choice Voucher program.

The mother has to put her name on the waiting list by calling the relevant owner of the subsidized apartment. When the space is available, the mom will be called to occupy the unit, and she will be expected to pay 30% of her income on a monthly basis. For more on the apartments, visit http://www.rhodeislandhousing.org/sp.cfm?pageid=609. One can also call 401-457-1223.

Family Self-Sufficiency for single mothers in RI

The single moms in the State of Rhode Island are not only helped with rental assistance but also with employment training, and educational skills that will enable them to find jobs and be independent. There is indeed a range of supportive services that are embedded in the program for the benefit of the mother. The program’s aim is to sharpen the future trajectories of the single mother by enhancing the chances of getting employment because of the skills she would have acquired from the program.

The program is designed exclusively for the recipients of Housing Choice Voucher program. After completion of the program ” which is voluntary ” the mother may be issued FirstHomes loans in order to purchase a home. Furthermore, she may receive a huge amount of bonuses from the program. This sets a motivation for the mothers to participate in the program. The program strives to create employment opportunities for these moms. Contact 401-457-1106 or email mmensah@rhodeislandhousing.org for more information pertaining to the program, and to apply for the program if you’re renting under Housing Choice Voucher program.

Emergency Housing Assistance for single moms in RI

Single moms may possibly find themselves under crisis of homelessness, and that may be heartbreaking if earning little income. The State of RI has help for these moms. There are supportive services offered in this case which include rental assistance to help retain the housing if in case facing foreclosure. Call the specialists for Emergency Housing at 401-457-1197.

There are other programs under emergency assistance. Supportive Housing Program helps the homeless single moms with housing needs. Under the program there are other programs, namely Shelter Plus Care (for homeless single mothers who are disabled), HOPWA (for mothers living with AIDS), and many more. Visit http://www.rhodeislandhousing.org/sp.cfm?pageid=654.

The programs of housing aid are enormous in the State of Rhode Island for single mothers who may struggle to afford homes of their own. The programs are generally issued on the basis of low-income and other non-monetary factors. Most of the funds are from HUD Department of U.S but the programs are administered locally by a range of public housing authorities.

This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)